2017 State of the Waterway
The 2017 State of the Waterway was presented at the February 10, 2017, Full Committee meeting. Download it here.
Houston Pilots, G&H Towing captains, PHA Fire Department awarded top Coast Guard civilian honor
At the February 10, 2017, Lone Star Harbor Safety Committee meeting, RADM David Callahan and CAPT Peter Martin presented Meritorious Public Service Awards, the U.S. Coast Guard's highest civilian honor, to three groups of mariners whose heroic and decisive actions prevented a catastrophe on the Houston Ship Channel in September 2016. ABC13 covered the award presentation.
Subcommittee meeting notices are posted on the calendar. Please contact your subcommittee chairperson for more details.
- Menhaden working group developed guidance on managing hazardous gulf menhaden schooling in the Houston Ship Channel
- Committee provided input to NTSB regarding VTS and on going VTS enhancement work
- Committee provided input to ACOE regarding Bayport flare improvements
- Facility working group makes regular visits to new and challenging docks to identify and advise on safety issues
- Chemical tanker scheduling optimization group started foundation work for efforts to better manage traffic
+ Our Mission
The Lone Star Harbor Safety Committee (HSC) provides a public forum to address Marine Transportation System (MTS) issues with particular emphasis on navigation safety-related matters involving the ports of Houston, Galveston, Texas City, and Freeport including the associated waterways of the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway and offshore lightering zones.
As a vehicle facilitating communications between and among public and private sector entities, the Committee draws upon regional expertise and insight to address such issues as vessel traffic management, anchorage management, communications, security, significant/heavy weather preparations, maritime traffic disruption/restoration, process improvements, and any other related topics dealing with the MTS. The Committee will conduct periodic comprehensive assessments of the local safety and environmental risks and may consider other needed actions in and adjacent to the waterways.